Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Contemplating a Visit to The Sleep Clinic

I'll be having a new experience this evening - I am going to the Sleep Clinic at our hospital. I've never done this before and they say to wear your PJ's but I don't normally wear PJ's to bed so I'll be wearing sweats and a cozy top if I can find one (otherwise it won't be cozy).

As it stands my sleep is horrible and has been all of my life. Can you imagine being tired all of the time? Well, when fatigue becomes the norm you don't know what it feels like to be rested. I cannot remember the last time I felt fully rested... anyway, my doc doesn't know quite what to think - do I sleep poorly because of the fibromyalgia pain? Is there something wrong with my nose or airway? Do I have sleep apnea? What is the problem?

Thus, the Sleep Clinic to the rescue - we hope! From what I have been told they hook you up to a monitoring system and watch you sleep. I was also told I might end up with the funny guy as my monitor-man or a woman. I'd prefer a funny woman if I had a choice as the one who watches me sleep all night.

What a job! Do they ever get to sleep?

I have to admit I am a bit apprehensive due to the fact that I know that I don't know what I look like when I sleep. I also know that I do not wake up in the same position as when I fall asleep so what I do during the few hours I am sleeping only God knows! Also, wiping drool from my mouth is common practice for me since it seems I breathe through my mouth when I sleep - thus part of the problem I assume.

So, am I looking forward to this experience? NO! Then what am I to expect - a good nights sleep? Probably not... so then they'll probably make me do it again, which I am not down with. And what happens if my monitor person falls asleep? Do they make something up so they don't get into trouble or do I have to do it again?

Well, to say the least it will be an adventure - I sure hope they are sworn to secrecy.

So, sweet dreams everyone and say a little prayer for me as your head hits the pillow tonight that I will sleep enough and do whatever it is I do so they can see whatever it is they need to see so I won't have to share my sleeping experience with anyone again.

Thanks bunches,

Rebecca

4 comments:

  1. I have a couple of sleep study tests, you don't sleep well to begin with, that's why you're there, and then on top of it you REALLY don't sleep well because you're in a strange place with theses monitors hooked up to you. I, too, can empathize with never feeling rested, I don't remember the last time I had a good night's sleep, either. I, too, have fibromyalgia. Isnt' life grand sometimes. Hope they can help you out with your sleeping issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Should be interesting! I'm sure that those monitor-people have "seen it all"... so don't worry about what you do (you won't remember it anyhow!)
    I'll be praying for you!!!!
    As you drift off to sleep work your way through the alphabet with names for Jesus! Almighty - then say a prayer about His might! Beginning... Creator... Deliverer... Eternal... Faithful... Good... Healer... see how far you get!!! :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lord, I pray for wisdom for the Dr. to know what to do and how to treat Rebecca. Help her be able to sleep better. I pray that they can figure out what the problem is. Help her to trust You through this.
    In Jesus name, Amen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lord, I pray for wisdom for the Dr. I pray that you would guide this whole process, that they may know the proper steps to take. I pray that Rebecca would trust You through this.
    In Jesus name, Amen

    ReplyDelete